Are Chinese Herbs Right For You?
- For conditions like a cold or flu, including allergies, sinus infections and nasal congestion, not requiring antibiotics
- For dermatological issues not responding to Western Medicine or for patients who are searching for alternative therapies to their prescribed protocols
- For those with diagnosed or undiagnosed gastrointestinal issues, for example reflux, GERD, IBS, or just general fullness and bloating with or without appetite
- For gynecological complaints, including PMS, short or heavy cycles, infertility, menopausal heat and irritability, vaginal dryness, chronic or acute yeast infections and recurrent loss of pregnancy
- For those with anxiety, depression and insomnia looking for alternative or additional support
- For conditions with limited Western testing or unexplained diagnosis, for example chronic fatigue syndrome or unexplained infertility
- For those whose symptoms have not responded to Western treatments
The role of Chinese herbs dates back more than 3,000 years ago. This is the main modality that is used for gynecology in China, i.e. water-based, polypharmacy, internally administered decoctions. When patients are not in medicated cycles, i.e. IUI or IVF, Ms. Westhauser prescribes Kamwo Chinese herbs to patients when indicated. Usually these formulas are given during the follicular and luteal phases of the cycle. The herbs are quality-controlled, high grade products that are very safe. They produce a regulatory effect on the body that is time tested and gentle. Additionally, Ms. Westhauser customizes formulas to address your individual needs. Over 95% of formulas administered in China are modified to arrive at the appropriate prescription.
“In my experience the results achieved by using raw herbs far surpass any other form of administration such as powders, granules or pills in ready-made formula.”
The main advantage in modifying an ancient formula is that you retain the supremely important ability of adding or removing ingredients to better suit the exact pattern manifesting in the patient being treated. While the major advantage over granules and powders, is the extraction that occurs with the cooking process.
The heat applied acts as a catalyst that binds the various active ingredients together, thus forming a myriad of new substances that are literally more than the sum of the original parts. In essence a chemical reaction takes place when the herbs are cooked, and new synergistic actions between the ingredients are then produced, which is where the true magic of herbal medicine comes into play.
You can usefully draw a parallel with cooking of food. Imagine the result of taking the desiccated ingredients of a recipe and simply adding water to rehydrate them. You certainly won’t end up with the same flavors that you would do if you cooked the ingredients together from the beginning. More information is available at www.kamwo.com
Kamwo’s Commitment to Quality
As one of the oldest herbal pharmacies on the East Coast, Kamwo Herbal Pharmacy has been serving the Chinese medical community since 1973. Owned and operated by a fourth-generation Chinese herbalist, Kamwo has always been in the forefront in addressing concerns of quality and safety. They make every effort possible to ensure that our customers and their patients are using safe and effective herbal products.
Bulk (Raw) Herbs
Kamwo employs Eurofins Central Analytical Laboratories, an independent US testing facility in New Orleans, to test their herbs for heavy metals such as Arsenic, Lead, Mercury, and Cadmium, as well as for over 60 pesticide residues including DDT and BHC. They source sulfur-free herbs whenever possible. Through voluntary testing, they are helping to raise the industry standard in ensuring that patients receive only the finest quality herbs.
Information and descriptions on our website are not intended to treat, cure, prevent or diagnose any disease, nor are they intended as prescriptions or therapy in any way. The descriptions are for educational purposes only. None of these statements have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
Legally, we are restricted from providing you with answers to medical questions, dosage information, potential drug/herb reactions, or assistance with questions relating to illness.
Please make an appointment so we can make an informed and responsible diagnosis of your condition and treat you appropriately. Thank you for your understanding.